Is There Such a Thing as a Healthy Chocolate Mousse?

Helene at Tartelette was the proud winner of last months Hay Hay It's Donna Day competition with her beautiful cheesecake. She has had the unenviable task of choosing the theme for this month but fortunately she chose something that is close to most peoples hearts (and if not, why not?) - Mousse.
Mousse is possibly the easiest dessert to eat, it can be luxuriously dense or as light as a cloud. It can be savoury or sweet and it can be baked or, um, not baked.
I wanted to do something slightly different from the norm, i.e. omitting the egg element from the mousse purely because I was running low on eggs AND time AND finances so I turned to the web for help (as usual).
A startling solution stared up at me: Tofu Mousse. Wait. Did that say Tofu? Isn't that coagulated Soy Milk? The original vegetarian food and possibly the sole reason why I gave up vegetarianism as a kid? How can this be utilised in a mousse without it tasting like a health shop smells?
Actually, Tofu gets a bad press but it is surprisingly versatile if you treat it properly. Paul loves it in Miso Soup and he introduced me to the joys of deep fried tofu but neither of us had tried a sweet version of it.
What makes this mousse particularly special is that it is OK for vegans and would also be good for diabetics (it uses Agave Syrup instead of sugar), yet it doesn't skimp on flavour either. So, if you find yourself with a spare box of silken tofu in the cupboard because, say, your husband said he wanted to make Miso soup with it so you bought him a packet especially and six months later it's still in the cupboard, and you don't feel like the hassle of whipping egg whites, or you have vegetarian guests coming for dinner that you want to impress, then this could be the mousse for you!
It requires no cooking except for melting the chocolate, which doesn't count anyway, and the flavouring options are endless. I soaked some dried figs in chocolate liquor, chopped them into sticky, crunchy nuggets and folded them into the mousse, but preserved cherries, fresh raspberries, rum raisins, nuts, mint essence, toasted coconut, anything would be great in this versatile mousse.
The Filo Cups are optional but they do look cute. However, they are also incredibly fragile and need to be served with the mousse in them straight away (but fortunately this mousse doesn't need to sit in the fridge for several hours to set up) otherwise they turn soggy. The mousse would, of course, be just as good served in little espresso cups.
I have tweaked the original recipe to suit what we had in the cupboard, namely one block of tofu (which is about 8oz, 220g), and a 100g bar of Lindt 70% Dark Chocolate. I also had a bottle of Agave Syrup which I use on rare occasions (although you could replace this with honey or sugar if preferred) and of course, every bakers essential flavouring, vanilla extract. These four ingredients, the chocolate for flavour, the tofu to replace the egg element, the syrup for sweetening and vanilla for flavouring are your basic mousse. What else you add to it is entirely upto you.
This batch makes enough to fill four large Texas Muffin Cups with some left over in the bowl for finger licking.
TOFU CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WITH LIQUEUR SOAKED FIGS serves 4
Ingredients:
220g Block Silken Tofu
100g Bar Good Quality Dark Chocolate (but you could use milk chocolate and I suspect white chocolate too)
2-5 Tablespoons Agave Syrup (or honey or caster sugar)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
5 Dried Figs, soaked in a tablespoon Liqueur (I used chocolate)
4 Large Sheets Filo Pastry
Melted Butter
METHOD:
Preheat the oven to 200c.
To make the Filo Cups, cut the large sheets of filo pastry into quarters and brush with butter. Layer the sheets into the cups of large muffin tins so that they form little cups. They may overlap but they are supposed to look rustic. Brush any pokey out bits of pastry with butter and bake for 5 minutes or so, until golden brown.
Carefully remove from the muffin tin and leave to cool on a cooling tray.
To make the mousse, melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl placed over lightly simmering water.
Stir in the vanilla and the agave syrup. Use just two tablespoons syrup to start. You might need to add more later depending on how sweet your tooth is.
In a food processor and using the plastic blade, blend the tofu until it is smooth.
With the blade still running, pour in the chocolate mixture and process until completely amalgamated. Taste for sweetness. Add more if necessary.
At this point you can add any other flavourings. I used the soaking liqueur from the figs.
Stir in the chopped figs, keeping some aside for decoration.
Spoon the mousse into the filo cups.
Sprinkle over the reserved pieces of chopped fig, lightly dust with icing sugar.
Enjoy!

P.S. DON'T FORGET TO DIG OUT THE CHARCOAL FOR PAULS BIG BURGER BALLYHO!
We failed to mention that this also includes unusual or favourite toppings for burgers too. My personal favourite is avocado with sour cream, ketchup, salsa and chilli. And tortillas chips. And fried mushrooms. I like to keep it simple! What about you?
So, what are you waiting for? Get grilling!

35 comments:

Melting Wok said...

freya & paul, wow..best thing bout this it does sounds healthy and yummy , good one, guys :)) a minute there, I thought u used egg roll skin hehe..hey, I've tried this over the past summer using chocolate mixed w/silken tofu and bit unsalted soybean milk..weird concoction, I'd love to try your recipe very much, thanks :))

Saffron said...

Delicious!!Look yummy and for a while you don't want to eat it 'cause this mousse is so nice to see!
Freya, you're great!

Truffle said...

What a wonderful recipe. Sounds fabulous! It looks gorgeous too and I'm sure it would be delicious. Love the pairing with figs.

Lydia said...

Brilliant! Tofu mousse -- never would have thought of it.

Cheryl said...

The filo cups send this right over the top. What a fantastic idea for tofu mousse. Yum.

Susan said...

Tofu sweets are becoming all the rage, among vegans anyway. A charming idea to eat the dessert dish, like an ice cream cone.

Abby said...

What a beautiful presentation! I need to get on the ball and get with some more blog events ... every picture is so inspiring.

Thanks for stopping by Confabulation in the Kitchen (and I love the picture of your dog! Fabulous.)

the pastry princess said...

wow that looks fantastic! tofu in mousse....what an interesting concept. and i must say, figs are my weakness (well that and peanut butter).

foodiemama said...

yumm...i love making tofu mousse..too bad we try to stay soy free these days or i'd have to make it again!

Kelly-Jane said...

That looks wonderful in the little filo cups. I love figs and chocolate too, a lovely inspired addition to a mousse.

KJxx

tigerfish said...

Minus that baking for the filo cups, this is something that does not require baking. Yay! (from me who does not bake..so often..or even never...except for pies and pasties). I would like to try that tofu mix-in for that mousse. :D

BTW, I just featured you in a food meme over at my blog for some sharing of fav. locations to eat at your location (is it essex, GB...or did I get it all wrong?...). Oh no, sorry if I got your location wrong. Let me know the correct location and I could change it.
You sure know so much about food, and I know many readers would be glad to know more about your country's food culture.
(P.S after reading your ballyhoo post...I'm so worried now that you are in US and not in UK? :O )

Sara said...

I love tofu mousse more than "regular" mousse. Great recipe!

Helene said...

Thank you, thank you! I have been looking for a tofu mousse recipe with a stamp of approval. I will try it on the hubbs this weekend.

Joyce said...

Hat's off to the most versatile, eclectic food blogger out there!
I've sent this on to a vegetarian friend with whom I had lunch today and we spoke of silken tofu and its many delightful dessert manifestations! Love the figs in this one.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love the cups, Freya! So cute!

Brilynn said...

I've made a chocolate tofu mousse before, but your addition of figs and alcohol is infinitely better.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oooo, I must try this one for my boy! And I'm going to have to pick between cherry and blueberry but your fig look really good also. I'll have to get figs.

Lucy said...

Silken tofu has such a great, slippery texture. Very cute presentation!

Amy said...

Sound and look so delicious! Never had tofu in dessert before but I'll have to try this sometime. And love the filo cups, so cute. :D I have a thing for edible dessert cups.

valentinA said...

Hi Freya!
Wow, choc mousse made with tofu? Now, THAT'S interesting & healthy!:)
Love the cups made of filo by the way- very original:)
You never seem to run out of ideas:)

Kathryn said...

I love the filo cups! And the fig idea. The mousse looks so cute! I don't know where you get your ideas from (tofu chocolate mousse!!) but they really work!

Kathryn x

Passionate Eater said...

I agree with Kathryn, those are some fantastic ideas with elements that seem that they would go together well. And tofu + chocolate?! Wow, if that isn't healthy, I don't know what is!

Gattina said...

never though of tofu mousse! With your phyllo cup, your dessert can straight to cocotail party at 5- star hotel!
"firm" and "soft" tofu... no no for me, but "silken" the more the merrier!

pom d'api said...

Wo!!! Your chocolate mousse it's a pleasure for my eyes. It's gorgeous
Good week

Sylvie said...

The presentation is beautiful in the filo cups !

Bron said...

The filo pastry cups are too cool, and chocolate and figs! Wow! Heavenly!!

Lis said...

Between you and Sara (iliketocook) I have got to try mousse using tofu! It looks and sounds amazing.. and good for you too! I love your addition of the liquor soaked figs as well.. YUM!

xoxo

joey said...

This is amazing...tofu in a mousse! I am neither vegetarian, nor a healthy eater, but I really do love tofu (imagine that)...this is a great recipe to have :) And with the figs (!!) oh boy, can I come to dinner? :)

Kristen said...

Beautiful!!

How the heck do you keep track of all of these food blogging events? I want to participate but can't keep everything straight and keep missing deadlines.

Barbara said...

Tofu Mousse. How clever of you. I could even get my family to eat tofu this way. Thanks for joining in at HHDD.

Arfi Binsted said...

I love tofu! I always have two blocks of fresh tofu every week. This is another innovative idea to try, worth trying!!

Meeta said...

Tofu in a mousse? Now that is a novel idea. It looks and sounds delish though.

Culinarily Curious said...

I've seen recipes for tofu mousse before, but shied away from what looked like diet food. I'm glad to know it works. And I love love LOVE the figs. Yum!

kellypea said...

Those little cups are so cute -- I've always wanted to make them. Mmmmm...looks tasty.

s.j.simon said...

lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this