Big Burger Ballyhoo 2007

bal-ly-hoo [n. bal-ee-hoo] -a clamorous and vigorous attempt to win customers or advance any cause; blatant advertising or publicity.
We here at Writing at the Kitchen Table have no interest in duping the public. You won't find bait and switch here folks! We're unashamedly promoting a food event in an attempt to hype our own profile. And as if the event itself weren't enough to draw a crowd, we're even giving away a prize!

Freya has authorised this event, but I don't think she approves. It's no secret that I choose to express my American patriotism in the form of the occasional cheeseburger (or hot dog, or taco, or...) and I'm about half way through my quest to find the perfect burger (+/-20 years, dependant on future coronary surgical technique). I've never found a burger to compare with the Grand Daddy from JJ's, but that hasn't stopped the search.

Those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are fortunate to be a few short weeks away from barbeque season. I'm hoping that a few readers are as excited about this as I am or this will be a very dull event. Just send me your best burger recipes, pictures included if you'd like, and I will cook and sample all of them. Don't limit yourselves to standard beef patties. I've been known to get just as excited by veggie burgers (falafel counts), fish burgers, chicken...squirrel.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All submissions must be able to be cooked on a barbeque.
All submissions must be received by 11:59PM pst May 25, 2007.
Relatives and personal friends are welcome to submit recipes, but will not be considered eligible to win.
I retain the right to refuse sampling burgers which have ingredients I am unable to find or which may cause instant death.
Judging will conclude June 1, 2007 or when I've had a stroke, whichever comes first.

Send an E-mail with Burger Ballyhoo in the subject line to youbiggirlsblouse at tiscali dot co dot uk. Include the name of your burger, recipe, your name, the name of your blog, and a picture of the burger if possible. Feel free to use our Warhol logo without permission.

To really up the ante, we can tell you that the winning prize package will include a bottle of Goatslick as seen in our April 1st post. Now go get grilling!

24 comments:

Katie said...

As fellow Americans (and Midwesterners) living in France I feel compelled to hold up our end, so to speak.
Of course, that will involve some research, testing and picture-taking.... Well the barbecues are out of storage and funcioning, mon mari assures me he is up to the task and our local farmer just hauled some beef to the slaughterhouse.... You're on!

pom d'api said...

I fairly love beef but I'd like Hamburger and I love mexican cookery, faritas, enchiladas. I love. And I like Americans

Lis said...

Okay you're on.. BUT if I happen to somehow win this event - am I allowed to BEG YOU to just keep that bottle of goatslick to yourselves? As my gift to you!

hehe

xoxo

mooncrazy said...

You guys crack me up! Of course I'll submit a recipe and I'll challenge the other women at PBE too.

Deborah said...

I don't even dare to make burgers since meeting my husband - he is the king of the grill! (and makes the best burgers I have ever had!) I will have to beg him to make some burgers now - and actually write down what he puts in them. He usually just throws in whatever he can find, so it is different every time. I'm excited to share!!!

knitphomaniac said...

steller idea :) I shall email my burger recipe asap...

Kelly-Jane said...

Lis - that is exactly what I was going to say! :)

I'll have to go and look, I know I have at least one specific burger book (unused as of yet)and a few BBQ and Grilling ones. Hmmm.

Is this your first event? Exciting stuff :)

KJxx

kellypea said...

I'm so in. Mmmmmmmm...Ham-"boi-gahs." I'm all over this one. Thanks for the great idea!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Well this will be a hardy undertaking!! I wish you good eating and good heart.

Sig said...

Ha ha ha... Paul are you going to sample all the burgers between May 15th and June 1st? Hope you won't end up in the hospital like that movie "Supersize me!" :D

I will have to get my winter coat out to do bbq in Seattle now. Hopefully we will get a nice day soon enough.....

Callipygia said...

What a great idea- this may compel me to dream something up! Would love to help you out with the tasting...

Mae said...

I'll try my best but can't promise. I will be away first week of May - will see if i can fire up the barbie before then (we fired it up twice this week already!). :)

This is such a great idea!

Passionate Eater said...

Haha, I love the legalese where you say, "I retain the right to refuse sampling burgers which have ingredients I am unable to find or which may cause instant death." With that legal language, I am confident that this is a reputable and official competition!

Kristen said...

I know just the recipe...if only I can remember to get it made, photographed and sent in to you on time! My blonde headed mommy brain is so full of info...

Kate said...

Yum. I am on it.

But, if I win, please offer that goat-y junk to someone else. OK?

Melting Wok said...

hey guys, how do you define goatslick taste ? hehe..hm..have tried pigeon's and some other unidentified bird species slicks, but never goat. WOW..you guys gonna BBQ all the recipe submission ? Do you need any US representative ? *waving her hands like a lil' school girl here* :P

valentina said...

I would love to take part.

sher said...

Well, I don't think I could win, since my burger is so basic. But, I made it yesterday and it was fun toi start grilling again. So, now I'm going to write up my post! :):)

Julie said...

I'd like to participate (we've been talking about making burgers soon), but i live in a condo and can't BBQ...it's heart-breaking since I live in Florida with gorgeous weather year round, but such is life. I do have to say (with all due respect to gas grill fans) that fancy gas grills are really just outdoor stoves. And I get a mean char in my cast iron skillet. This is a good idea for an event, and I'll definitely check out the entries.

Heather said...

It just so happens I am going to be trying out some new turkey burger recipes, so I will be sure to send you some good ones to try. I also like buffalo burgers so we will see what I come up with.
This is my kind of event!!

whozyerdanny said...

good luck to all, and to all a good bite!

Kristen said...

I'm delinquent. I just submitted the entry...a half of day late!

ejm said...

Well, RATS. I just found out about this event while reading Brilynn's (Jumbo Empanadas) submission.

A couple of nights ago, my husband forced me to have burgers made the "new" way. (He mixes minced onion and Mr.Patak's biryani paste into the ground meat) I'm afraid that I often nix burgers if it isn't a hot summer night... it just doesn't seem right to eat burgers indoors. But once I smelled those burgers cooking on the barbecue, I caved immediately. We made our own buns on the barbecue too. The burgers were fabulous. Even though we had to eat them inside.

Did I blog about the burgers? No. Did I take photos? No. Silly me. I know we'll be having them again though. They were too good to wait for a hot summer night.

-Elizabeth

Karen said...

Oh, darn! I just found out about your burger fest 5 minutes ago!
And here it is burger season, and I have a whole line up of burgers to make.
And now it seems, you do too!
Have fun sampling...