Sometimes you know something isn’t quite right but the little cooking demon whispers in your ear: “no, this is just fine, keep going. You don’t want to miss the Barefoot Contessa do you?”
Yesterday, when I removed this bundle of thin sheets, sans box, from the freezer, I told myself it was Filo Pastry. Even when I was separating the thawed sheets and finding them to be a bit curlier than usual, quite a bit smaller, a bit thicker and a bit more translucent, I still continued to spread melted butter over the sheets and layer them up. The normally silky texture of Filo wasn’t there and when I folded the slightly coarse sheets around the salmon, it didn’t hold in place as readily as it normally should.
At some point I yelled downstairs to Paul (who was watching Battleship Galantica) “Am I using Egg Roll wrappers instead of Filo Pastry?”
He bolted upstairs to check: “No.”
Me: “Thank God!”
Paul: “Nope, those are Spring Roll Wrappers.”
Well, thanks for that Mr Semantics!
The oven was on high, the fish was mostly shrouded in non-filo pastry. I had no other option. “I’m gonna just throw these in the oven and see what happens. You, get to work on the potatoes.”
We crossed our fingers and waited hungrily to see what would actually happen.
I figured that Spring Roll Wrappers would probably take a similar length of time to cook in the oven as Filo Pastry so after 10 minutes I tentatively peeked in the oven. They looked golden brown, crisp and not the frazzled, charred mess that I had been dreading.
In the meantime, Paul had knocked up a rather tasty (and ad hoc!) sort of potatoes Dauphinoise, using sour cream, chives and some milk, which we served with the salmon spring roll parcels. Paul had apparently made several kilos of the Dauphinoise “just in case” and also heated up some frozen peas, “just in case”.
As it turned out, the spring roll wrapping worked rather well, it was just the filling that we were rather disappointed by. Another one of those recipes that I had been dreaming of cooking for some time, taken from Tamasin Day-Lewis, was Baked Salmon with Ginger and Currants. I thought it sounded recherché enough to be really delicious. However, whilst it was quite tasty, it was just a bit too sweet for my taste buds. Paul said he would have preferred pickled ginger instead of the preserved ginger that the recipe asked for. Also, I had to substitute raisins for currants as I hate those tiny little black things.
I don’t feel enamoured enough with the recipe to replicate it here, although it is apparently a restaurant classic. Still, it looks pretty enough, don’t you think?

13 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Oh I know the recipe you mean I have had it on my mental list for ages now. That's a shame you weren't too keen on it, it looks good though :)

I have a really sweet tooth so might keep it on my list. Do you think it would be worth fiddling with a bit?

KJxx

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

See I just don't like raisins so I would probably have gone with dried cranberries. It looks beautiful. Spring roll wraps! who would have thought? Have to keep that in mind.

Brilynn said...

I'm constantly falling victim to removing things from the freezer adn thinking they're one thing only to find out they're another. The classic example would be the time I pulled an apple pie out of the freezer for dessert, only to find out, (half way through cooking when I could smell it) it was a VENISON pie!

Lydia said...

I'm glad to hear that someone else's freezer manages to separate labels from packages! I don't know how it happens, but every now and then I'll pull out something that is a total mystery.

ros said...

I think I made a version of this a few months ago before we discovered each others blogs. I really enjoyed it although I can see how some people could find it too sweet. Here it is http://www.roshani.co.uk/livingtoeat/index.php/2006/12/12/spiced-salmon-en-croute-ginger-butter-sauce/

Is it the same kind of thing you did?

Joyce said...

Don't we know - we can't win them all. But it wasn't a total failure, looked at all you learned and passed on to us and it was still a nice enough supper. ;^)

Callipygia said...

The idea of baked spring roll dough sounds so delicious to me- but then again I am a sucker for those things.

Elle said...

The spring roll wrappers seem to have worked well...very creative. I love salmon and currants, so would keep them, but like the pickled ginger idea for the zing. Maybe some lemon juice and/or zest to offset sweetness? Anyway glad you tried out the spring roll wraps as fish wraps.

Kathryn said...

I think Jane Grigson has a recipe for this too? I don't have a sweet tooth so I haven't thought of trying it; it sounds a bit odd to me. It sure looks good though!!!

Kathryn x

Susan said...

I'm so glad the spring roll wrappers were a success. I always have some in my pantry and love new ideas of how to use them. Thanks!

Gattina said...

Very good experiment! One time I baked wanton wrapper it didn't turn out well, might be I wasn't thinking of doing phillo way... didn't brush oil.

Lis said...

Although it may not have turned out as you had hoped, it certainly is gorgeous! Question - when using Phylo (or even spring roll wrappers) can you wrap the fresh fish with it and then freeze the parcels? Or should this type of dough be baked as soon as you prepare it?

xoxo

Katie said...

I've ended up using frozen crepes instead oh phyllo...but, usually, by the time I've figured it out I do what you did, bake and eat.
It's called being creative...
I'm not a big fan of currents (too sweet) but the ginger sounds nice.