Soup - Day 4 (Paul's Back!)


That’s right! I got home late, took the kitchen over, made up a brand new soup on the fly, and only missed ten minutes of Battlestar Galactica (War of the Gods Pt. 2). Freya was sending me text messages all day with soup suggestions in a desperate bid to dissuade me from cooking tonight. I told her that I was determined to make dinner and nothing would stop me.

I didn’t have much time to think about soup at work. I had some big quotes and redesign work due out not to mention the planking to glue on the scale model of the HMS Victory. My boss did have a look in my office to make sure I was busy and he pointed out that drilling the holes for the masts will prove to be a bit of a pain. “And don’t even get me started on the rigging!” I only knew that the soup should have beans and tomatoes as they have been conspicuously absent from the rest of the soups this week.

I stood in the middle of the kitchen while Freya finished off the batter for some Hummingbird Muffins, which I was surprised to learn contain no hummingbirds. I decided that a twist on goulash would be fun and novel.

I didn’t have any meat thawed apart from the Kielbasa that Peter brought me from Poland (I showed him some pictures of the last thing I made with this sausage and he said something like, “Yes, always about food with you.”). Good sausage is the foundation of many of my favourite meals. I love bratwurst, mortadella, chorizo, and a really good kosher all-beef frankfurter and would almost always choose one of these options over steak. When using sausage in soup you know it will always be tender and will offer up its flavour without much of a fight. The hardship in my house is getting Freya to eat the meat in soup, but I don’t argue with her or even give her disparaging looks while I dutifully eat the leftover sausage in her bowl.

The first thing I always do when Freya makes goulash is prepare the dough for dumplings. There’s nothing worse than finishing up prepping dinner and realising you forgot to make the rice, or pasta, or in this case dumplings. Goulash dumplings aren’t like the big stodgy dumplings made with suet that you might find in a beef stew. These dumplings are small and firm with a lot of flavour. The dough requires a minimum of half an hour rising time which is why I make them first.

The remaining ingredients and preparation are simple and straightforward. If you’re a regular reader of my contributions to this blog you will notice a theme in all my recipes. I love frugality! The idea of using the dregs in the fridge to make a delicious meal is very appealing to me. Freya says it’s because I’m cheap, but I can live with that as long as I can impress her with the results. Tonight was my biggest triumph! She even said this was the best soup this week! I thought soup 1 was the best, but this definitely deserves second prize. I think you’ll enjoy it too.

PAULS PATENTED PAPRIKA SOUP
Ingredients:
Dumplings:
3 Tablespoons ‘00’ flour
2 Fresh eggs
1 Teaspoon hot Bavarian mustard
A medium bunch of parsley finely chopped
1 Teaspoon sea salt
2 Grinds of pepper
Soup:
100g Kielbasa or chorizo sliced or cubed
1 Tin or 450g soaked/drained beans (I used butter beans)
2 Onions quartered and sliced thin
2 Peppers cubed
2 Heaped teaspoons Pimenton (smoky hot paprika)
2-3 Tablespoons peanut oil
2 Teaspoons salt, more or less to taste
1 Tin chopped organic tomatoes
½ Pint beef stock

METHOD (Dumplings)
Mix all ingredients until a sticky loose dough forms. Cover and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.

METHOD (Soup)
Pour oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add sausage and allow to cook while prepping onions. Add onions and salt and allow to sauté while prepping the peppers. Add peppers and paprika and sweat over medium low heat for about five minutes. Add tomatoes and beef stock, cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Add beans and turn heat to high. Working with two spoons, form small quenelles with the dumpling batter dropping them into the soup until all dough is used. Allow soup to come to the boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. The dumplings will approximately double in size and then shrink a little when uncovered. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, crème fraiche, or if you’re a food heathen like me, cottage cheese.

13 comments:

Kathryn said...

Mmm, this sounds great - love the colour, too. So this is the best soup of the week? They all look good to me...!

Oh and why won't Freya eat the meat out of the bowl...?!

Kathryn

Joyce said...

Adding dumplings to an already fabulous soup combo puts it right over the top! Very impressive!

Claude-Olivier said...

Nicely done !!! Colors is perfect, like the recipe !!!

Cheers
Claude

Jessica said...

Wow! What a lovely soup!!Jessica

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

For the love of all things soup! This looks sooooooo good!
What a wonderful bowl of winter happy!

Linda said...

i use paprika entirely too rarely! thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to try it. the cold's gracing the city over the weekend, and I will of course be making soup as my trusty weapon.

ros said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ros said...

Funny isn't it? You can't get Freya to eat the meat in soup and I have to struggle to get Goon to eat anything else!

I am in love with paprika. This soup looks perfect... well apart from the cottage cheese... I think I'd go with the sour cream. ;)

tammy said...

Another great soup. I love how you both post on this blog; it's a really nice dynamic.

Callipygia said...

If this soup is patented, its gotta be pretty good. Is the flour amount right- 3Tbsp?

s'kat said...

Your week o'soups would fit in perfectly at Alanna's 'Soup Glorious Soup' theme!

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2007/02/februarys-focus-soup-glorious-soup.html

Freya said...

11 comments to respond to and me with a splitting JD headache.
Kathryn,
This is no longer the best soup of the week. The fifth soup was the ultimate winner. Freya isn't a big meat lover anyway, but she generally just likes the broth in soup if it's not a blended creamy soup.
Joyce,
These dumplings have always been big sellers in the past. I think they'd be really nice in a chicken soup. After all, the dumpling batter is really just a pasta dough in big lumps.
Claude-Olivier,
I like soup to be big and bold. I love red food! It's very evocative.
Jessica,
Thanks! Oh, my aching head.
MyKitchenInHalfCups,
This soup was good, but septuple 'o's may be hyperbole.
Linda,
There're very few places as cold as New York and very few foods that warm you like soup.
Comment Deleted,
The most regular commenter on this blog. Once you commented four times on one post. And I've seen you popping up on lots and lots of other blogs. Your energy impresses me.
Ros,
There are two courses of action you can follow. You could either hold his big block of cheese hostage until he eats his veggies or coat the vegetables in the cheese before adding them to the soup. How much of that thing is left anyway?
Tammy,
Funny you should say that because Batman and Robin were called the dynamic duo. You'll understand where this is leading when you read our latest meme post.
Callipygia,
The flour amount is approximate, but the dough should be very sticky, almost unworkable. The egg does all the work for you in the soup. By the way, I love your art. Can I commission a piece?
S'kat,
Freya was planning on doing so with soup no. 5. This is her blog and her passion. I'm just a hobbiest.

Thanks for all the comments. If anybody is interested, I finished the planking on the secondary deck of my HMS Victory model yesterday which pleased my boss immensely. When that was finished, I opened up some .dwg files in a E-mail attachment relating to one of my designs and was pleasantly surprised to find that the architect has added some structural steel and changed the required detail from a stubbed truss to a standard mono with a 200mm cantilever. Hooray!

Melting Wok said...

ooh, I love the subtle paprika spice flavors in anything..wow, I could smell your soup, one order of that too, plzz ? :)